Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Anticipating

"the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout,
with the voice of an archangel,
  and with the trumpet of God"
1 Thessalonians 4:15

Is there anything more exciting than the arrival of someone you've been eagerly anticipating?   Maybe when family comes into town, or someone who's been away comes home?  I've seen some of those videos of soldiers returning home, and I could just watch them over and over.  And those aren't even my loved ones!  

Watching children run to a parent is always sweet to watch.  I used to love when my kids were little, and I would come through the door after being gone, and they would crawl as fast as they could to come greet me.  Such a beautiful sight!

Another sweet memory I have is that when my youngest was still a baby ~ I can just picture him in his swing or the bouncy seat ~ he would smile such a big smile when I came into the room.  But the smile got even bigger when his big sister would come in behind me.  How precious is that?

I got to thinking about this topic a few weeks ago in church.  I was sitting, and church had already begun, but the Apple of my Eye was not sitting with me yet.  He helps out a lot at church, and I guess he was helping to set up, or make sure the ushers all had copies of the Sunday bulletin they hand out.  But we had started singing, and so I knew he'd be along any second.

I was sitting near the aisle, so even though I had my eyes on the lyrics I was singing, every time someone came down the aisle to find a seat, I could see them out of the corner of my eye.  I'd see a motion, and know someone was coming, so I'd look up to see if it was my sweetie. But time after time, it wasn't him, and I felt a little disappointed every time. 

That kind of surprised me.  I mean, I love the guy and all, but I see him every day.  I wouldn't have thought I'd be so excited to see him, when I had just seen him 15 minutes earlier, as we drove to church. 

Eagerly anticipating my sweetie's arrival.  Can I say that about Jesus?  I don't think so.  I go for days without thinking about it, when I should be prepared in my heart, and checking the sky.

Hmmm.... I guess it's time for me to read Revelation again. 

He's coming back.  This I know.  For the Bible tells me so. 

~ "Amen.  Even so, come, Lord Jesus!" ~
Revelation 22:20

No comments:

Post a Comment