Sunday, September 2, 2012

Together ~ even when we're apart

"they heard the sound of the Lord God 
walking in the garden in the cool of the day"
Genesis 3:8

I went for a walk with my family the other morning.  There's a path near our house that runs along a stream, so it's a very pleasant and interesting walk.

It must be kind of funny to watch my family walk together, because I'm sure we hardly even seem like we're together.  The Apple of my Eye walks a steady, healthy pace.  Exercise has always been important to him.  Me?  Well, when it comes to exercise, what's important to me is ice cream...

I generally walk like I'm playing a life-size game of connect-the-dots.  I walk from shady spot to shady spot.  Then I wait in the shade, drinking a little water, and waiting for my Awesome Girl.

The reason I'm waiting for her is not because she walks slower than I do, but because her idea of a walk means taking photos.  Photography is one of her passions, and on a walk like that one, there is a lot to photograph ~ birds, flowers, pine cones, her brother, the dog, etc...  So she walks, stops, takes pictures, then catches up to me, and then we both make our way toward the Apple of my Eye, who is generally pretty far ahead of us by that time...

And Amazing Boy?  Well, he's a boy.... he loves to run, so sometimes he runs ahead, then runs back.  Or he goes off to inspect something, or he climbs on the rocks near the stream.  He's kind of all over the place, albeit always in sight, and catching up frequently.

We all have our own pace, but we're all moving in the same direction.  And we're all keeping our eye on one another all the time.  And no one wishes anyone else would slow down or speed up.  Everyone is just comfortable letting everyone else be comfortable.  We're all doing our own thing ~ together. 

Enjoy those He has put in your life.  Be together, even when you're away from each other.  Do your own thing, while enjoying the fact that those you love are doing their own thing.  You don't have to speed up or slow down to match what works for someone else, you just have to catch up with each other frequently. 

There's no right or wrong; there's only different ~ as long as you're going in the same direction.


~ "be perfectly joined together 
   in the same mind and in the same judgement" ~
1 Corinthians 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment