Thursday, September 27, 2012

I could have had a V-8!

"have I any power at all?"
Numbers 22:38

My family went apple picking last weekend.  And by that I mean, we went out to the country and picked out the varieties of apples we wanted to buy.

Usually we drive up to this area to actually pick the apples ourselves, but we went up earlier in the year than we normally do, and the you-pick orchard we normally visit told us that it was too soon in the season to pick.  There were other orchards open, that weren't you-pick.  So we were happy to buy a few favorite varieties, and try a couple new ones.

It's a bit of a drive from our house ~ maybe two hours away.  And normally, the Apple of my Eye does the long (and middle) distance driving, but he wanted to get a little work done, so I drove.

I love driving ~ when it's my car.   It's just the right size for me, and it's a smooth, comfortable ride.  But my car was in the shop (trying to become a smooth, comfortable ride again) so I had to drive my sweetie's car.  His car is, well, less of a smooth, comfortable ride.  It's big, and manly and takes more concentration for me to drive.

And as we were tooling up the mountain road, my sweetie looked up from his work, realizing that we seemed to be losing a little momentum.  He glanced at the speedometer, grinned at me and said, "You can push harder on the gas pedal.  It's a V-8; use the power!" 

See, my car has 6 cylinders, so if it's having trouble going up a steep hill, there's not much I can do about it.  I don't want to ask the engine to work harder than it can, so I keep steady pressure on the gas pedal, and let it do its thing.  I'm not really one who needs a high performance car, I guess...

But with my hubby's car, I was able to ask more of the engine.  It's a more powerful vehicle, and I wasn't taking advantage of that until he reminded me.

Power that's not being used when it's needed is essentially going to waste.  It's not like conserving something so it will last longer.  The car has 8 cylinders, and that's not going to change.  I can either take advantage of that power, or deny myself the ability.

And I'll bet I do that more often than just in his car.   My faith is in the God who created the universe.  He keeps the world turning; He keeps my heart beating.  And He is the source of my faith, my courage, and ability to obey Him.  Whether it's the difficulty of loving others, or taking a scary step of faith, He's the power I need ~ if only I call upon Him.

~ "In the day of my trouble,
  I will call upon You,
     for You will answer me" ~
Psalm 86:7

No comments:

Post a Comment