Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Doing, Doing, Done

 "A man's heart plans his way,
  but the Lord directs his steps"
Proverbs 16:9

Man, I had quite a day today...  Not what I expected it to be when I got up this morning.  And if you had asked me last week what today would be like, I'd have been even farther from accurate.  And if you had asked me six months ago what today would have been like, I'd have been completely off!

My goals for a typical day would have included feeding my family (or making sure they ate... I don't really make every meal).  Teaching my kids and prepping any worksheets or tests that might be necessary.  Cleaning up the house where it needs it, doing laundry, and tending to the volunteer work I do.

But I was out of town for the weekend, so the house needed more attention than usual.  And I needed to unpack and put things away.  And a few days ago, my car's "check engine" light came on, so I needed to take the car in to be serviced.  And then of course, school, eating, laundry....   Oh, and the phone company surprised me by coming {finally} to fix the phone line, which has been out of commission three months.  Kids and hubby had someplace to be tonight, and I had a meeting to go to, and a phone call I had to make before Bible Study starts tomorrow night.

Not a typical day at all.  And I was very aware of my "to-do" list, which at the end of the day didn't look very much like my "have-done" list.

But that's okay.  God doesn't care about what I intend to do as much as He cares about what I do

So what did I accomplish?

Well, I spent time just talking with my wonderful kids.  We'd missed each other while I was away this weekend, so I was soaking them up today.  I also saw both my parents.  Daddy picked me up from the mechanic's when I dropped my car off, and Momma drove me there to get it when it was done.  I love living close to my parents; being there to help them with stuff, and having them to help me when I need them.  And I don't very often see them without my hubby and kids being there.  It was fun to have a little one-on-one time with each of them. 

I also sang a worship song with my family.  The Apple of my Eye is leading the worship at my Bible Study class tomorrow night, with my Awesome Girl singing with him.  So they were practicing tonight, and Amazing Boy and I joined in.  We made a beautiful noise unto the Lord!  Even the dog came into the room to see where all her people went!

I also prayed for a friend today, and helped another solve a problem.  I encouraged someone who was struggling, and was able to lift a loved one who was down.  I was a listening ear for someone who is working through something, and I was a friend to someone who needed one. 

None of that is bragging, you understand.  I was just being where God wanted me, taking advantage of opportunities He brought me, though I probably missed a few, too.  It happens. 

I'll probably do some laundry tomorrow, and finish unpacking.  I expect I'll find my kitchen counter under the clutter.  I'll make sure the kids do school, and get their chores done, and it will most likely feel like a typical day.  But at the end of it, I hope that God is pleased with my "have-done" list. 

~ "I know that nothing is better than to rejoice,
and to do good" ~
Ecclesiastes 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment