Tuesday, November 6, 2012

He's listening just to hear you talk

"for He cares for you"
1 Peter 5:8 

I got together with some friends this evening.  They are all women I'm in Bible study with, so I see them every week, but this was a nice change.  We all volunteer for the class; we're not just there for the lesson, we also have work to do.  So usually there's not much time for chitchat. 

Which, in a way, is a good thing.  I'm really not a big fan of chitchat.  It's so... shallow. 

Think about it; when someone asks, "How are you?", how often are you able to really tell them how you are?  And how often do you just say, "fine" or "good" when you may or may not be fine or good?  Most of the time, there's a whole lot more to how you are.  But maybe this isn't the person with whom you wish to share, or maybe there isn't time. 

As the person asking the question, I would like to hear more than "fine".  I ask my friends and family how they are doing because I care how they are doing.   And I really am not a fan of "fluffy" conversations, or small talk.  I like depth.  The people who are my friends are so because I like them.  I want to know them, and be known by them, and the times we have to really talk are so precious to me.  

And all of a sudden I find myself thinking about how often do my prayers consist of "fine..."   Like there's no point in telling Him what He already knows.  But frankly, telling Him is for me.   I need to remind myself how much He loves me; how much He cares when I'm low or frustrated or confused. Scripture tells us to pray; why else would He have told us to, if He didn't want to hear from us?

If I'm not okay with shallow conversations ~ what makes me think He is?

~ "And when you pray,
do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do...
but when you pray, go into your room,
and when you have shut your door,
pray to your Father" ~
Matthew 6:7,6
~

No comments:

Post a Comment