Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Four Steps to Wisdom

"Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God"
Proverbs 2:5

I love Proverbs 2.  It's one of the proverbs that talks about wisdom ~ though there are many of those.  As a matter of fact, most of the proverbs have something say about wisdom.  24 of the 31 chapters in the Book of Proverbs teach us something about wisdom. 

Hmm..... As I ponder that fact, I think I need to make a stronger point of seeking wisdom.  It occurs to me that I don't esteem wisdom as God does.  I think I need to work on that....

But anyway, today I'm thinking about Proverbs 2.  I love this proverb for two reasons:  the instructions and the promises.  First, is the promises that are in it.  Verse 5 is the promise of the instructions that come before it ~ "Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God."  Verse 9 contains another promise ~ "Then you will understand righteousness and justice, equity and every good path."  There's more in verses 20-21:  "So you may walk in the way of goodness, and keep to the paths of righteousness.  For the upright will dwell in the land, and the blameless will remain in it."  

Love it.   When I was growing up, my mother never said to us, "Because I said so."  She always gave her reasons.  Maybe that's why I love reasons so much.

The other reason I love this verse is because of the instructions.  I love when I am given clear guidelines on something; I like knowing what's expected of me.  And I had a pastor once who was teaching Proverbs 2, and expounded on the first two verses.  It has stuck with me for years because of how beautifully it describes how we are to approach God's Word ~ with the following four directions:  "receive my words... treasure my commands within you... apply your heart to understanding... cry out for discernment"

At first it seems a little redundant, but here's the breakdown:  "receive my words" is to read the Bible; "treasure my commands" is to memorize it; "apply your heart to understanding" is to study His Word; and "cry out for discernment" is to pray regarding His Word.

Do you take all those steps?  Or are you content with reading?  There's more to it than that.  And why?  Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God; that's why!

~ "The Lord gives wisdom;
from His mouth come knowledge and understanding" ~
Proverbs 2:6
~

No comments:

Post a Comment