Sunday, September 1, 2013

Together

"Nevertheless I am continually with thee."
Psalm 73:23

Did you ever come across a line or a verse or a passage of Scripture, and feel it touch your heart?  Did you find yourself pondering it, musing it, turning it over and over in your mind as you dwelt happily on its meaning...

~ only to find out that you'd misread it?

I suppose this is what happens when we read something out of context, and think we've got the whole picture.   Sometimes that sort of misunderstanding can lead us astray.  Dangerously astray, as illustrated by the false prophets and teachers that the Bible warns us about. 

But in this case, what I misunderstood wasn't biblically incorrect.  As a matter of fact, it's a truth that can be found elsewhere in Scripture.  "Nevertheless, I am continually with thee." 

Now, what I read there was a promise from God, that no matter what happens, He will always be with me.  Which is true.  See Matthew 28:20. 

But then I looked up the whole psalm, and discovered I had it wrong.  It's not a promise from God, it's a declaration by the psalmist.  It's what we should pray to God!

"My heart was grieved,
and I was vexed in my mind.
I was so foolish and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
You will guide me with Your counsel,
and afterward receive me to glory."

All of a sudden, the meaning changed drastically.  I thought it was promise that no matter what I do, no matter how foolish and ignorant I am, He will be continually with me. 

Which is true. 

But this psalm is an acknowledgement that no matter if I am sinning, even if I am being weak, that does not change my desire to be with Him.  I am never far from His love and protection, even when my heart is leading me away.  Like a child that is trying to cross the street without looking, He holds me by His right hand, and guides me.  He knows I want to be with Him, even when I'm acting like I don't.

I know; it's a slight difference.  Me with Him, or Him with me.  Same outcome, right?  But I think I'm celebrating the wonderful, if slight difference between Him making a promise, and me acknowledging that promise. 

Even though I....

and even if I....

and no matter what I.....

I am with Him, and He is with me. 

~ "it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord God,
That I may declare all Your works" ~
Psalm 73:28
~

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog. Posts like this one are the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feeling is mutual, RWP. The reason? "I like thought-provoking." :)

    ReplyDelete