Sunday, October 6, 2013

Serves me right for wanting to watch TV...

"Surely I am more stupid than any man..."
Proverbs 30:2

So I'm taking it easy again today, keeping my broken toe elevated a lot of the time.  I've been working on school stuff for the kids ~ typing up tests, grading homework and making suggestions to the writer of one very fine folk tale.

And I also watched some baseball playoffs.  Boston Red Sox vs the Tampa Rays.  But because I had work to do, and I needed to concentrate, I kept the TV at a very low volume.  I'd just glance up every now and then to watch an exciting play as the Red Sox beat the Rays. 

Towards the end of the game, I finished up the grading I was doing, so I decided to watch the end of the game.  I went to grab the remote control to turn up the volume, but instead I knocked it onto the floor. 

The remote, not the volume. 

And, as always happens when I drop the remote, the back popped off and one of the batteries popped out.  I know; I should tape it shut or something.  But we had to do the same thing with our last remote, and eventually the tape comes off and then you've got sticky gunk left on the remote.

Yes, it's a first world problem.  That's why I'm not complaining, just sharing. 

So I picked up the battery, and looked at the battery that had stayed in the remote, so I'd know which way to point the one I was putting in.  I made a note of which way battery #1 was facing, put in battery #2 going the other direction, snapped the back back on {that's clumsy-sounding, but I don't know a better way to put it} and turned the TV up. 

But the volume didn't get any louder, so I picked it up again, and hit the volume up button, and set it on the table again.

Still no change. 

So I picked it up again, and this time I hit the up button a few times, and started to put it down again, but realized there was still no volume. 

So this time I aimed it very directly at the TV, and then pushed the button very f i r m l y.  Nothing. 

I turned it over, removed the back, and sure enough, I had put the battery in the wrong way.  There were only two choices of how to install it.  I looked to find out which way was the right way, and then I put it in the wrong way.

Is it any wonder God has to tell us stuff over and over again?

~ "The law of the Lord is perfect, 
  converting the soul;
    the testimony of the Lord is sure,
      making wise the simple." ~
Psalm 19:7
~

No comments:

Post a Comment