Monday, October 14, 2013

A Lesson From Bobby Orr

I saw an interview with hockey-great Bobby Orr today.  I'm not sure why they were interviewing him ~ as far as I could tell, he wasn't celebrating anything, and didn't have anything to plug.  Course he's not really a plugging kind of guy...

But he's an athlete I've long admired ~ a hard worker, and a man with integrity and humility.  So I thought I'd rerun a piece I did a couple of years ago, and one of the lessons Bobby Orr has to teach us.

~

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Joshua 24:15


Do you know who made the most mistakes?

Bobby Orr, that's who.
It's true.  I read it in Sports Illustrated.

That's not Bobby Orr.  It's the Apple of my Eye ~ hockey playing stud that he is.  (Southern California boy, notwithstanding...)

But you know why Bobby Orr made the most mistakes?  Because he had the puck the most.

I asked my hockey-playing (and awesome) husband, about Bobby Orr, and he said that most longtime hockey fans would say he's one of the three best players ever to play in the NHL, and certainly the best defenseman.  He changed the game because he was a defenseman who wasn't afraid to attack, meaning he shot the puck.  Before Bobby Orr,  defensemen just.... defended.  And he did score.  A lot.  But he also made a lot of mistakes.

If he had hung back, waiting for the action to come to him, he would have made fewer mistakes.  And that would have fit his job description satisfactorily.

But to stay with the hockey theme, you miss 100% of the shots you never take.  Meaning, if we expect to accomplish anything for the kingdom of God, we have to get out of our "zone".  If we are going to serve God and His people, we have to get off of our couches and off of our cellphones.

You can do it!  Volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen.  Sign up to teach kids at your church.  Visit someone lonely at a home for seniors.  

Yes, you might make mistakes.  But we're awfully forgiving when someone is lending us a hand, aren't we?  And if you lose the puck, well, one of your teammates will soon get it back, and you'll have learned something in the process.

There's a determination in today's verse from Joshua.  "We will serve the Lord."  I'll bet Bobby Orr was determined, too.

What are you waiting for?

~ "Be of good courage.
And bring back some of the fruits of the land." ~
Numbers 13:20
~

No comments:

Post a Comment