Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Working While I Can

"Therefore go now and work"
Exodus 5:18

It's 6:00 in the morning as I write this, and I'm preparing for a crisis.

Well, maybe not a crisis.  A problem.  A situation.

And maybe it's a situation that wouldn't even be a glitch on your radar, but I know I need to prepare.

Part of the problem is that I'm up and active at 6:00 in the morning.  Which, I assure you, is never by choice.  I'm just not a morning person.  I mean, don't get me wrong; I don't have a life where I can sleep in until noon every day.  I'm usually up by 7:00, but still, I wake up slowly.

So:  the reason, and the problem, and the preparation ~

* The reason is that my folks left this morning for the East Coast.  They are visiting friends, and our old stomping grounds in Virginia for a few days.  Their flight was an early morning one, and I drove them to the airport, so I was up at 5:30.

sigh... I'm really not fond of 5:30 in the morning.  
Except for the sunrise.

* The problem won't be a problem until tonight.  Tuesdays are busy days for me, and then I'm out late.  And when I get home, I'm exhausted.  Tonight, because I was up at 5:30 this morning, it's going to be even worse than the average Tuesday.   I am going to be very tired tonight, and before my usual bedtime.  

Usually I spread out my productivity.
You know, pace myself.  Not today.

* The preparation changed my schedule.  During the day I do a myriad of things, from housekeeping to teaching to grading to lesson planning.  I also have responsibilities for the volunteer position I'm in.  And then, of course, there are unexpected things that have to be taken care of.  Like taking people to the airport.

So like most people in their jobs (I presume) I tackle things in what can seem a random fashion.  Taking care of something over here, then over there, then that thing over there.  Sort of like a juggler keeping the balls moving so that nothing hits the ground. 

And that includes the very productive hours between dinner and bedtime.  I get a lot done then, normally, but tonight that's not gonna be the case. 

So the things that need to be done today need to be done early in the day.  I'm living out the wisdom in Proverbs 21:5 ~ "The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty."  I'm thinking today that diligence isn't just about doing, it's also about being diligent to plan, and then do.

And then, after getting done everything I need to while I'm feeling energetic, then, I will enjoy the sweet sleep of she who works hard.

~ "you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet" ~
Proverbs 3:24 
~

No comments:

Post a Comment