Thursday, October 31, 2013

What to do, what to do....

"please give me success this day"
Genesis 24:12

I love Wednesdays

Well, I love all days.  They each have their own schedule and personality, and I appreciate each one's routine and opportunity.

Wednesdays are special because they are the day when I take a breath.  Mondays and Tuesdays are busy, in a wonderful way, and Wednesdays are sort of a recovery day.  It's a catch-up day for anything that fell through the cracks on Monday and Tuesday.

Needless to say, I have a pretty healthy to-do list on Wednesdays.  And varied.  House stuff, school stuff, family stuff, ministry stuff...  And depending on how crazy my Monday and Tuesday went, the list can seem overwhelming. 

I know it might seem odd that I love a day that can be overwhelming, but I do.  It can be very fulfilling to accomplish things around my house and for my family.

But sometimes when the list seems overwhelming, I find myself doing less important things just to be able to complete something.  Don't you sometimes just want to call something finished?

Or to avoid doing something, I do what's in front of me, even if it's not a priority.  Maybe it's easier than what needs to be done, or maybe it's just been sitting there longer.  Of course, the reason it's been sitting there longer is because it's not a priority...

Sometimes what's in front of us matters more than it should.  It's visible, it's squeaky, and it tempts us with the feeling of accomplishment.  I think it's the same thing in us that responds to the earthly more than the heavenly; the fleeting rather than the eternal.

But our hearts and minds should be set on the things above, not on things on the earth. (Colossians 3:2)  Our goals should be His, and we should remember that if we are living out His plan in our lives, then even days that seem like we are accomplishing nothing are steps in sync with Him.

I guess that's why it's a good idea to start every day, every project, every decision with prayer.  Maybe that's why He commanded us to pray without ceasing.   Maybe my To-Do list would be better off as my "What Would You Have Me To Do?" list.  It's a little clumsy sounding, sure, but it's a far more certain path to fulfillment.

~ "Seek first the kingdom of God
and His righteousness,
       and all these things shall be added unto you." ~
Matthew 6:33
~

No comments:

Post a Comment