Friday, November 1, 2013

Wants and Needs

"the things which are needed for the body"
James 2:16

My Amazing Boy had a baseball game on Sunday afternoon.  The weather was very pleasant and autumnal,  but by the time the game was over, the sun had gone down behind the hills, and it was quite chilly.  And I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, clothing-wise.

We already had plans to go to my folks' house for dinner, and when we got there, you know what was waiting for us?  Meatloaf and roasted potatoes with a side of Brussels sprouts.  Comfort food at its finest.  Don't you love when the things you enjoy are just the things you need?

I woke up this morning with a slight sore throat, and feeling a little low energy.  And you know what's perfect for a sore throat?  Hot tea with honey.  Ahhhhh......  Isn't it great when what you want is exactly what you need?

And because I was low on energy, I did a lot of things that require low energy.  You know, sitting-under-a-blanket things.  Which gave me some time to enjoy some sweet comforting background music.  Worship and hymns, mostly, with a touch of classical, and some of the pastoral stuff from The Hobbit soundtrack.  Music that is gentle and soothing, and makes me think of Jehovah and some of the beautiful things He has given us.  It was just what I needed.  Which is nice, because it was what I wanted, too.

I think the secret is not in needing those things you want, but in wanting what you need.  After all, if you train your body to be dependent on caffeine, or chocolate, or a cigarette, then when times get tough, that's what you're going to want.  But it's not going to be what you need

Want the things He wants you to want, and you'll have what you need.

~ "Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart" ~
Psalm 37:4
~

No comments:

Post a Comment