Monday, November 18, 2013

Lack of Understanding

"Then you will understand"
Proverbs 2:9

Ah, the subject of wisdom.  It's all over Proverbs, isn't it?  We just finished studying Proverbs in Bible study, and I find that the more I study, the more I see the benefits of wisdom.  But the more I study, the more I see how much wisdom I have to gain, too.  What's that saying?  "The more you know, the more you know how much more you need to know."

Wisdom is mentioned countless times in the Bible, many in the Book of Proverbs, but this verse, Proverbs 2:9, taunts me with its promise:  that wisdom will enable me to understand what is right and just and fair. If there's one thing I often find myself longing for, it's understanding!

I completely and totally and wholeheartedly trust the Lord.  I know that He is just and fair, and that His timing is perfect.  I know that His plan is perfect.  I know in my heart the truth of Romans 8:28 ~ that He works all things in my life for good, as I am called for His purpose.

And I rely on the love He expresses in Jeremiah 29:11 ~ that He has plans for me ~ to prosper me, not to harm me; plans for a hope and a future.  I know that I know that I know that He has me in a place that is right, and just, and fair; that I am on a good path.

But I do not always understand.

I do not see His logic.  He is mathematician who does not show His work; a firm parent who responds to "Why?" with "Because I said so."

He created me, however, to take very little of what I see at face value.  He created me with an inquisitive nature that seeks to analyze; to explore until I am satisfied.  So I struggle mightily with not being allowed to understand.  I trust in His decisions, but I do not understand.  And it's a new battle, sometimes moment by moment, to accept what I do not understand.

Until I have the wisdom to understand His righteousness, justice, and fairness, I will walk with faith, in grace, along the good path, to the hope and future He has promised me.

~ "Then you will understand
  what is right and good and fair;
  every good path" ~
Proverbs 2:9
~

No comments:

Post a Comment