Monday, November 25, 2013

Giving Thanks

"something sweet"
Judges 14:14

I have a sweet tooth.  It must be a genetic thing, 'cuz my father has one, too.  And so does my son.

But of course, a penchant for sweets does not mean loving all things with sugar.  I'm partial to Ghirardelli dark chocolates, and ice cream.  My father likes a few specific kinds of cookies, and Twinkies.  And ice cream.   And my boy's current passion is tapioca pudding.

Oh, and ice cream.

And parenthetically, did you know that tapioca is extracted from the root of the plant manihot esculenta.  Due to a high concentration of cyanide, it is poisonous in its raw form and lethal if prepared improperly.  Tapioca is also indigenous to Brazil as is the cocoa bean, from which we get chocolate, the best pudding.

So let's talk about chocolate pudding.  It's our lesson for the day.

A few weeks ago, our church had an event for kids, and they had some fun snacks on-hand.  And after the event was over, the lady in charge gave me some of the leftovers to take home.  There was an open jar of peanut butter, I think, and maybe some goldfish crackers.

But there was also some chocolate pudding.  A few of those "snack-pack" things.  Which I kinda love.  They're not something we buy on a regular basis.  They're not really cost-effective.  I figure if I'm gonna eat pudding, I should buy the powder and make it myself.  But I don't do that very often either.

So I was excited about the unusual treat in our fridge.  I think I had one, and then the next time I went to have one, a day or so later, they were gone.  Somehow my boy and my hubby had finished them off, and I had only gotten one.  

It wasn't a huge deal, of course, but I did give my sweetie a hard time about it.  Just a little teasing, you know?  But that was the only mention I gave it.

About a week later, I had forgotten about it, when I opened the fridge and saw pudding in there.  Chocolate pudding.  Apparently my husband had picked some up for me while stopping at the store for something.  I didn't know anything about it, but when I saw it, I knew it was for me. 

There are things we need, and things we want.  Things we hope for, and things that surprise us.  But every day there are things in our lives that are just for us.  Provided, prepared, personalized.... by Him.  For me and for you.

This week, in the US, is the week of Thanksgiving.  It's a time for remembering the origins of our country, so special and sacred to us.  But more than that, it's a time for realizing our blessings.  It's a time to remember how much we take for granted, and how much we owe Him.  And while that's something I try to do throughout the year, I'm grateful for the reminder this time every year. 

Wherever you are, however you're blessed... thank Him today for the sweet and beautiful things He has provided for you.

~ "Oh that we would give thanks to the Lord
for His goodness,
and for His wonderful works
to the children of men!" ~
Psalm 107:8
~

No comments:

Post a Comment