Friday, November 8, 2013

Oh, what a -- actually not really that great a morning...

"early in the morning"
Genesis 19:27

The Apple of my Eye had a rough start to his day today. 

For starters, he woke up realizing he had slept wrong.  Wrong pillow, wrong position.... something...  So he woke up with a stiff neck and a headache.  He used some painkillers, heat, a massaging pillow and some stretching exercises, but to not much avail.  Most of the pain persisted.

Then, when he was putting his contact lenses in, he somehow lost one.  He finally found it, but only after it had been on the floor for several minutes, by which time it was too dried out to use.  He had to open a new one, which was money down the drain.  So to speak.

This whole thing took him so long that he didn't have time for breakfast, so he decided to stop at McDonald's for one of their sausage... biscuit... muffin.... egg things.... I don't know.  But when he pulled in the shopping center, he was immediately stopped by workers repaving the parking lot, so he had to go around a longer way. 

And then he accidentally ordered the wrong thing.  Ordered the sausage-muffin-egg thing instead of the muffin-egg-sausage thing.  Or something...  But correcting his order took a few extra minutes in the midst of his running late.

Not a good way to begin a day. 

But I did everything I could for him.  Which is to say... nothing.  I didn't know anything about any of this until a couple hours later.  He emailed me from work with the whole story.  I'd been asleep until about two minutes before he left the house, and of course I wasn't there for the whole McDonald's part. 

Sometimes I wake up earlier, and I can chat with him while he gets ready for work, but I guess I was catching up on my sleep, because nothing woke me.  So he had a terrible start to his day ~ alone.

And this is why you pray for people, even when you have no reason to.  Or when you don't know why.   We need to pray for those we love whenever they come to mind, and when they don't come to mind, then we need to remind ourselves. 

I think it was Plato who said, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."  But with apologies to Plato, I think in my mind, it's gonna be, "Pray for people; everyone you know is fighting some kind of battle."

My sweetie was fighting a battle this morning, and I had no idea.  But just in case, I should fall asleep praying for him, and wake up praying for him, and for my kids and my folks and my sisters and my in-laws and my friends and my pastor and my congressman and my president...

~ "Evening and morning and at noon I will pray...
And He shall hear my voice." ~
Psalm 55:17
~

No comments:

Post a Comment