Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Lesson from Thanksgiving Leftovers

"So they ate and were filled, 
and they took up seven large baskets
of leftover fragments"
Mark 8:8

Okay, if Thanksgiving dinner is the best meal of the year,

{which I'm not necessarily saying it is... 
every once in awhile you have a steak dinner
 or some ribs with homemade spice rub 
that turn out to be especially memorable...}

... but if, for the sake of argument, we agree that Thanksgiving dinner is the best meal of the year, then leftovers the next day have to be in second place. 

For some people, the highlight is a repeat of what they ate the day before:  turkey, potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, etc.  But for me, it's all about the turkey sandwich.  Turkey, mayo, cheese and pickle on soft bread.  I know; it doesn't sound like much, but it's what I'm hankerin' for on every fourth Friday in November.

So I'm thanking God for something kind of strange today ~ leftovers.  Or to look at it another way:  extras.  By-products.  The things we get from the things He gives, even if they're not the things He gave, ya know?

Like, I prayed to God for a car, several years ago, when mine was breaking down frequently.  And not only did He provide a way for us to buy a new car, I was able to get one in a beautiful color, and with a sunroof.

And I prayed to God for children, and not only did He give me a child, He gave me two.  And they're smart and interesting and thoughtful and loving.  Far more than I thought to pray for.

We pray for things we want or need, but we trust Him to give us what's right for us.  And with that, we get blessings we never anticipated. 

So enjoy!  Thank Him for what He gives you, and then thank Him for what He also gives you.

~ "Every good gift
   and every perfect gift
   is from above,
   and comes down
        from the Father of lights" ~
James 1:17
~

No comments:

Post a Comment