Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Audacity of Presumption

"he knows nothing yet"
 1 Corinthians 8:2

I belong to a homeschool support group, which I love.  They organize field trips and social events for the kids.  And the "chat rooms" (if that's what they are; I don't really know what that means) are great for conversations, advice, and information of all kinds.

But recently, I saw an odd comment on there.  I don't know what the topic of conversation was ~ notes come automatically to my email, and I just delete them if they don't concern me.  Apparently, the thread had to do with someone in our group who had cancer.  I missed that one, I guess.  Must have been about someone I don't know, so I deleted it without looking.  {But now that I know, I'm praying for them!}

Anyhow, the comment I did see went something like this:  "If I had cancer, I would use the diet outlined in the R-- Cancer Book.  I would only do surgery if the tumor were causing a problem.  I would not use chemo."  And there were a few other comments along those lines. 

And as I read it, all I could think was how much audacity it takes to say, "If I'm ever in X situation, I will definitely X."  Really, how could you possibly know what you'd do?

It's like that old saying:  "Never presume to judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes." 

Or as the Bible puts it, "let us not judge one another anymore."  (Romans 14:13)

It's so easy to imagine, sometimes, how we think we'd handle a certain situation.  But not only do we not know how we'd react in an unfamiliar situation, we can't even know how we'd act in a situation we have been in before.  Circumstances change, and we change.

Really, what I think it comes down to is: "eyes on your own paper".  Do your own work, live your own life.   Support others, and learn from their wisdom the best you can.   And judge not, lest ye be judged.


~ "How much better to get wisdom than gold!
And to get understanding 
is to be chosen rather than silver." ~
Proverbs 16:16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment