Sunday, December 22, 2013

Counting Saturdays

"day and night shall not cease"
Genesis 8:22

It's Saturday as I write this.  The last Saturday before Christmas.  And the penultimate Saturday of 2013.  Number 51 of 52.

I read an article this year, about counting Saturdays.  The author's point was that life is short, and the way he illustrated that was by talking about how few Saturdays we have in a year.  Just 52.  And the average American life expectancy is, what, 85 or so?  That's only 4400 Saturdays.  Give or take.

The author was concerned with enjoying his kids while they are young and he's healthy, but it didn't really hit me that way.  After all, we homeschool.  I'm with my kids pretty much 24/7 (and enjoy every minute of it!)  So for me, the point of the article was about getting the most out of every day.  You know, not getting so caught up in my routine and daily busyness that I forget to think of Him, and appreciate the blessings He gives. 

Every day has something to appreciate.  Every day is special in some way.  But even if you live to be 100, you'll only get 100 Christmas Days.  Only 100 First Days of Spring.  Only 100 Kentucky Derby Days. {Or whatever else might be important for you!}

I hope, on the day you read this, it's a good day for you.  It might be just one of many days, but it's entirely unique.  You are one day wiser than you were yesterday, and one day closer to eternal life.  What are you doing with this day?

~ "This is the day the Lord has made;
       we will rejoice and be glad it in it" ~
Psalm 118:24
~

No comments:

Post a Comment