Monday, December 30, 2013

On Re-gifting

"giving food and clothing"
Deuteronomy 10:18

And so the holiday of gift-giving has come and gone.  I have had the fun of shopping for others, and the fun of receiving what others have gotten for me.  The interesting about gifts is how they sometimes seem to reveal something about the giver, too.  In my family, we generally jot down a few ideas for ourselves, so that others don't have to guess what we might want.  So when I decide what I want to buy for someone, I check their list first.

But even then, I don't want to get them just anything off their list.  I want to get them something I want to get them, you know?  Sometimes you can get a gift and tell without looking who it's from, because it's homemade, and you have a loved one that does that kind of thing; or it's very sophisticated, and you know which relative that is.  So I know that often my gift is going to represent me, especially to my sisters or my parents.

Sometimes my family gives used gifts.  My older sister gave my younger sister a Christmas decoration this year, that came from her house.  Last year, when we were all at B's house for Christmas, L admired that item, so this year B wrapped it up and gave it to her.

Or maybe my mom might decide to give each of us an ornament, or other heirloom that was a favorite of ours growing up.

I got into a conversation with some friends this Christmas season, about re-gifting.  Some people think it's wrong, but to me it depends on the circumstance.  If you're just grabbing something you don't want off of your shelf to give to me because you feel you have to give me something, then yes, there's some sincerity missing there. 

But really, all giving is re-gifting.  I hand a clerk money, and she hands me an item.  At that point, it is mine to do with as I please.  Generally, what I please is to give it to the person I was thinking about when I bought it.  I could keep it if I want.  Or I can change my mind and return it if I decide I'd rather have the money.  Instead, I choose to give it to the person I thought would like it.

Not to mention, we have nothing that wasn't given to us by Him.  We simply cannot give out of ourselves ~ we have nothing.  The thoughtfulness, the intelligence, the ability to make or choose or buy a gift, all come from Him. 

It's nice to remember, I think, when I'm grateful to a friend or loved one for a gift they've gotten me.  I'm grateful to Him, too.  Perhaps I should be writing two thank you notes!

~ "If you then, being evil, 
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your Father in heaven
  give good things to those who ask Him!" ~
Matthew 7:11
~

No comments:

Post a Comment