Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sing, Sing a Song

"all the sons of God shouted for joy"
Job 38:7

Well, obviously, I've been listening to Christmas music nonstop.  It's that time of year after all.  And I've got a pretty eclectic mix.  Partially that's because I keep music on my iPod for the whole family, so I've got a little something that appeals to each of us.

But also, it's just my way.  Doubtless yours, too.  You've probably got some variety in whatever form your music collection takes:  iPod, cd's, 8-tracks, whatever... My music spans the gap from today's Christian artists to country, from soundtracks to show tunes, from classic rock to classical. 

But I realized the other day that the range of styles of my Christmas music is even more varied than my every-other-season music.  I've got artists my parents listen to, and artists my kids listen to.  I've got music in the styles of country, jazz, folk, and rap... soft rock, medium rock, and hard rock.  I've got songs featuring pianists, drummers, guitarists, steel drums and bagpipers.  And I've got surfers, Tenors, Muppets, and one song in which the soloist is my sister.

And unlike my regular music, there is a variety of languages.  I have Christmas carols in English, French, Spanish, Hawaiian, Samoan, Celtic, German, and Latin. 

And the commonality of them all is the message.  The celebration.  The songs of Christmas unite us, despite our denominations, hometowns, languages and personal traditions.  This relatively small collection of songs is common to all Christians ~ and even to those who don't believe.

There is comfort and unity in seasonal traditions.  And I know some of these songs are about reindeer and snowmen, not the birth of Jesus, but for those songs that do celebrate Him, we must make a beautiful sound in His ear.

~ "all who believed were together,
        and had all things in common" ~
Acts 2:44
~
Answers to yesterday's quiz:
1. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
2. I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas
3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
4. I'm Getting Nothing for Christmas
5. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
6. I'll Be Home for Christmas
7. It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas
8. Joy to the World
9. Let it Snow!
10. Little Drummer Boy
~       

No comments:

Post a Comment