Friday, November 29, 2013

'Twas the Day after Thanksgiving

"a dinner of herbs where love is"
Proverbs 15:17

Thanksgiving is ending as I write this.  We've spent the day hanging out with my folks and a longtime family friend, eating just enough ~ but not too much ~ turkey and stuffing and potatoes and Brussels sprouts, with gravy covering the whole shebang.  I hope it was much the same for you ~ if Thanksgiving is your thing, of course. 

But the fun continues tomorrow.  The Apple of my Eye has the day off, of course, and for him, it's a day of relaxation, sleeping in, maybe getting some things done around the house.

But for the kids and me, it's one of our favorite days of the year:  the day we get out all the Christmas decorations.  We'll turn on some Christmas music while we box up all the Autumn, and pull out all the Winter stuff.  We won't get our tree quite yet, and we probably won't put the lights on the house tomorrow, but by the end of the day, the halls ~ and the rest of the house ~ will be decked.

And we'll have something fun for dinner, and watch a Christmas movie.  And the season will have officially begun.

But you know what will happen the next day?  Nothing.  That will be Saturday and he won't have to go to work, and we won't have to do school.  We'll do some more stuff around the house and we'll watch TV.  And then Sunday will be a repeat, except we won't sleep in, of course.  We'll go to church and then come home and enjoy a restful Sunday.

Four-day weekends are a gift.  A joy.  The change of routine is welcome (although I'll be nearly as glad to get back to the routine come Monday). 

But the best thing about the next few days is how much time we'll get to spend together.  Can I just tell you how much I love hanging out with my family?  Each of us doing our own thing for a bit, and then coming together to eat or watch a movie or get something done.  This is what I'm most grateful for this Thanksgiving ~ that God loved us enough to send His Son to die for our sins, but He didn't stop there.  He chooses to bless us here, in this life, with joys we don't deserve.  He doesn't just love us, He surrounds us with love.

~ "that I may be encouraged together with you
       by the mutual faith both of you and me" ~
Romans 1:12
~

No comments:

Post a Comment