Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Safety in Danger

 "in peace..."
Psalm 4:8

Psalm 4 is a wonderful, comforting psalm that had great meaning for me recently.  Its title is, "The Safety of the Faithful," and reading that title made it clear to me how grateful I am for His blessings in my life

We went on a trip a few days ago, with a lot of driving.  And unfortunately, in the early part of it, we got a flat tire.  We had driven over something large and metal, on a fairly desolate canyon road.  It's a tricky situation, dealing with that, trying to keep everyone safe and get the car fixed as simply as possible.  It was not quite as simple as "just put the spare on," for reasons I'll explain in a future post, but when it was all over, and I read this psalm, I was reminded that wherever we travel, He is with us, and though things will go wrong, it does not mean we are without His protection.

"Here me when I call, O God of my righteousness!"

Our cell phones allow for easy calling of the Auto Club, but that's not the first call we need to make.


"But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly;
The Lord will hear when I call to Him."

Know that He does hear you.  That's faith.  You are set apart for your faith.  You are His.


"Be angry, and do not sin."

Flat tires, overheating cars, road construction, traffic, a little too much family togetherness... Anger itself is not a sin.  But do not sin in your anger.


"Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still."

When the crisis has passed, rest.  And meditate on His protection, His mercy, and His blessings. 


"I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make we dwell in safety."

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.  That's faith.  Blessings all yours, and ten thousand besides.

~ "You have put gladness in my heart"
Psalm 4:7
~

No comments:

Post a Comment