Thursday, July 3, 2014

Things I Wish I Had Said*

*{but I'm glad someone did!}



"I can't hate a human being because my God never made anything ugly.  Now, you can be ugly if you wanna, boy, but God didn't make you that way.  Uh uh."
John Jordan "Buck" O'Neil (1911-2006)
First baseman and manager in the Negro American League
Scout and first black coach in Major League Baseball

Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  
And anything good in us is God in us.  
And anything not good in us is not God in us.  
~

"My Lord and my God!"
Thomas, the Disciple, 
upon putting his fingers on the holes in Jesus' hands and side
(John 20:28)

To forget that He is always with me
 is to be like Thomas, 
and not recognize my Lord and my God.
~

"To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup
Whenever you're wrong, admit it
Whenever you're right, shut up."
Ogden Nash (1902 - 1971)
American poet, author, lyricist

That's good advice, not just for marriage, 
but pretty much any relationship...
~

"And autumn has now turned to winter...
and after the winter, what then?
... Do I dare trust in God to send springtime?"
Robert H. Brague (born about 1941)
American poet, writer, blogger, musician
God always sends springtime again.
But sometimes our faithless hearts wonder.  
And I'm grateful to know I'm not the only one...

"And now, Lord, what do I wait for?  My hope is in You."
Psalm 39:7
~ 

"Victory without God is mockery and delusion,
but defeat with God is not defeat at all."
William Faulkner (1897 - 1962)
American writer and Nobel Prize laureate

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors 
through Him who loved us."
Romans 8:37
~

"It is a beautiful evening... 71 degrees,
a canopy of blue overhead,
barely a zephyr stirring the flags in center field..."
Vin Scully (born 1927)
American sportscaster and play-by-play announcer
for the Los Angeles Dodgers (1950 - present)

Isn't he wonderful?
~

"He is the Master of us all."
Franz Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809)
Austrian composer
upon hearing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus
performed at Westminster Abbey

It was many voices, singing in one accord that evoked this response from Haydn.  There is just nothing like when we praise Him as one voice. 
~

~ "But as for you, speak the things 
    which are proper for sound doctrine." ~
Titus 2:1
~

2 comments: