Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Verdict

"every matter may be established 
by the testimony of two or three witnesses"
Matthew 18:16

You know what I love?  I love when Scripture comes to life.  And it did for me in an unusual way just a few days ago.

A few months ago, I shared with you that I'd been driving with a friend, when she got a traffic ticket.  Now, a traffic ticket is basically a police officer (or in our case, California Highway Patrol) telling you that you've made a mistake, either on purpose or by accident.  The thing is, neither my friend nor I believed she had made a mistake.  We think what happened was that she pulled over when she heard the siren, as you're supposed to, and CHP #1 gave us a ticket because he thought CHP #2 had motioned us to pull over.  We politely told him so at the time, but his decision was to hand her the citation.

Now, when you're handed a traffic citation, you have two choices.  1)  Accept the officer's decision, which is tantamount to admitting guilt; or  B)  take your case to a judge.  If you go to court, then you give your side of the story, and the officer gives his.  I suppose the judge then uses detail of the circumstances, or what he can garner of the character of the two sides.

But fortunately for my friend, she was not alone in the car.  I had seen what had happened, so I gave the judge my testimony.  I was able to support her side of what happened.  And just as in today's verse, the matter was established.  My friend was recently notified that her case was dismissed.

I was pleased for her, and it made me think of this verse.  The matter of what had happened that day, in that intersection, had been established by our testimony.   I am so thankful that I live in a country that was founded on the Bible, and on its wisdom, because I know justice is not handled this way all over the world.

God is fair.  He is just.  And seeing justice done is like seeing the Bible in action.  And who wouldn't love that?

~ "The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of His unfailing love" ~
Psalm 33:5

No comments:

Post a Comment