Tuesday, November 29, 2011

God's Positioning System


"do not turn aside 
to the right or to the left"
Deuteronomy 5:32

Did a little travelin’ today.  Hubby and the kids and I traveled to a town we’ve never been to before.  Fortunately we had the GPS helping us along.  Man, what did people do before GPS?  I guess we found our way on a map beforehand, then tried to follow that.  Lots of room for mistakes that way, though.  And then, of course, ya gotta fold the thing afterwards…

So we had the GPS, and the lady telling us what to do at every step.  It’s so helpful.  “In one mile, turn right onto Route 349…. In a quarter mile, turn right onto Route 349… In 400 yards, turn right onto Route 349… Turn right immediately.”

Now here’s the thing:  when she said “immediately” the immediate right was a driveway into a shopping center.  I wasn’t driving, the Apple of my Eye was.  So I wasn’t paying close attention to the road.  I was looking around at the scenery, looking at things left and right and front.  So when she said “immediately,” it caught me off guard, and when my husband didn’t make that “immediate” turn, my heart jumped a little, and I thought hurriedly, “turn!”   But, of course he didn’t, cuz he was paying attention. 

I can be very literal, so I thought to myself, "she shouldn't say 'immediately' if she doesn't mean 'immediately.' "  But then I realized, she'd told us about five times that we were headed for Route 349.  All we have to do is know that that was our focus, and then our common sense can do the rest. 

Well folks, God's Word is that GPS.  We are so very fortunate to have His directions ~ in print, in every bookstore, in dozens of versions, and uncountable cover choices.   And yet every day we need to make decisions that aren't covered.  But if we know our focus, our common sense can do the rest.  For example ~ and this is a very extreme example ~ Exodus 20:15 says "You shall not steal."  So if a circumstance comes up where you find a wallet on the street, and you're wondering if you should keep it or not, you don't need a commandment that says, "You shall not keep a wallet you find a grocery store parking lot."  He's already covered it. 

Now, it's a big book, so you might say, "How can I know everything it says?"  Well, Jesus said the two greatest commandments are "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself."  That's a good start for ya.  But it also says, "Give me understanding... incline my heart to Your testimonies... Establish Your word to Your servant." (Psalm 119:34-38)  We need to make it our goal to learn, memorize and understand as much of His Word as we can.  For as long as we live.  

Hearing Him is not always easy.  But it's also not as complicated as we sometimes make it. He wants to guide us; He wants us in His will.  And the better you know His will, the better you'll know how to be in it.

~ Your Word is a lamp to my feet,
and a light to my path" ~
Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment