Saturday, November 5, 2011

More than enough

"I know what it is to have plenty"
Philippians 4:12

And today we've got rain!  Yay!  I love rain.  I love how it makes the plants and flowers look, cleaning things up, and deepening the colors of things that are wet.   And it's our first rainy day of Autumn.  Would have been a good day to stay home, maybe light a fire, stay huddled under a blanket.  But no, there were errands that had to be run, and classes that had to be attended.  So I found myself doing quite a bit driving today.

The good news is that I was driving on brand-new tires.  The Apple of my Eye (who now has a permanent job ~ praise God!) had been out of work for awhile, and so when we needed new tires for my car, my parents bought them for us.  I've only been driving on them for a few weeks, and it's just been so nice to have the sense of safety and security that goes along with brand-new tires ~ especially on a rainy freeway!

Over the time that we were without a reliable salary, we watched God provide over and over again.  The words "give us this day our daily bread" became very real.  We were very aware of the manna, every day.  We had what we needed, and didn't have a lot of what we didn't need.  And the beautiful thing was that a lot of what God provided, came from unexpected sources.  It was a joy to be surprised by people's thoughtfulness.

It was also a joy to be surprised by God's thoughtfulness.  Because not only were we provided with what we need, but He also blessed us with what seemed like "extravagances".  Like new tires.  Tires aren't cheap, so we were so very appreciative of my parents offering to buy them for us.

And things like dinners out.  We knew that being on a tight budget meant making wise choices when it came to the grocery bill.  So we didn't do a lot of eating out.  But a lot of Sundays, my in-laws would meet us after church and take us out to lunch, and it was such a treat.  We also had friends, and generous siblings, who would bless our kids with stuff we couldn't afford, and you know, if there's anything harder than depriving yourself, it's depriving your kids!

And a year ago, when my sister was getting married {actually, one year ago today!  Happy anniversary, you guys!} a sweet friend offered to buy my dress for the wedding.

He is Jehovah-Jireh, the God who provides.  But He does more than just provide.  So what name of God describes a God who gives more than provision?  Maybe Jehovah-Raah, the Lord my Shepherd.  Or Jehovah-Shammah, the Lord Who is There.  Who Jehovah-Shalom, the Lord who is Peace.

He is everything we need.  And more.

~ "Surely You have granted us 
unending blessings 
and made us glad 
with the joy of Your presence" ~
Psalm 21:6

No comments:

Post a Comment