Sunday, May 27, 2012

And it's easier than refolding a map....

"tell me,
that I may turn to the right
or to the left"
Genesis 24:49

Our family went to a 50th Anniversary party this weekend.  Lovely couple at our church.  And we aren't just friends with them, we are friends with their daughters and sons-in-law ~ who are our age ~ and their grandkids ~ who are our kids' ages.  So our families are all wonderfully entwined.

The party was only ten miles or so from our house, but the freeway was jammed.  Saturday beach traffic gets worse and worse as the summer gets closer...

So the Apple of my Eye thought it would be better to go surface streets.  Only problem was, I was driving, so I needed for him to tell me every time we needed to make a turn.  We'd gotten off the freeway in a place that I was less familiar with, and I didn't know how to get from there to the house.  So he told me what I needed to know, but frustratingly slowly, if you ask me.  I felt like he was waiting until the last minute to let me know if I needed to turn, and if he wasn't saying anything, it just felt like he'd left me wondering.  I kept wanting to say, "Don't forget, I don't know where to go.... make sure you're guiding me... Is this right?  Do I need to turn?" 

The thing is, he knew where to go.  So he knew how far in advance he'd need to tell me where to turn.  And he didn't see any point in telling me before I needed to know. 

Wanting to know before I need to know ~ is about control.  I wanted more of it.  And I was the one driving!  I love irony....

Have you ever felt that way about God?  Maybe you are you feeling that way right now?  Sometimes when we are trusting Him to handle something, we still want to know now how He's going to handle.  And when.  We want control.  If knowledge is power, then we'd like more, please.

But it doesn't work that way.  If we put our trust in Him, then it's gonna be His way, in His time.  And we'll know, in plenty of time, what we need to know.

~ "Commit your way to the Lord,
trust also in Him,
and He shall bring it to pass" ~
Psalm 37:5

No comments:

Post a Comment