Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Want it all; want it now

"the Revelation of Jesus Christ"
Revelation 1:1

Well, summer has officially begun in our home.  Probably in a lot of American homes... Memorial Day has that effect.  On Sunday we barbequed burgers and marshmallows at our house, and Monday we went over to my folks' house for barbequed ribs and corn-on-the-cob.  We ate watermelon and the kids swam a little in my parents' pool, and we had ice cream for dessert. 

I'm not a big fan of summer.  It's probably my least favorite season, because I don't like the heat.  But my kids love summer.  It's not even about school being out, because we homeschool year-round in our home.  They just love all the things that go along with summer, like swimming and barbequing and watermelon and roasted marshmallows and corn-on-the-cob... 

What's interesting to me, though is that my kids want all the good things of summer, all at once.  As soon as they can feel the change in the weather, and the day is lighter longer, they start talking about it.  They get a tiny glimpse of summer, and they can't wait to experience all of it.  They aren't satisfied with some; they want all

I love that attitude.  I love the idea of not being satisfied with a little, if you can have a lot.  At first, I thought they were being greedy.  Why do we need all the good things of summer right away??  But then I thought, why shouldn't they be excited for the things they love?  They're not greedy kids; they're not demanding anything, they're just eager.

And frankly, when I thought of it that way, it made me think of heaven.  That's the attitude we should have, as a result of the peek we've had into heaven through the Book of Revelation.  Have you ever read it? 

A pure river of life, clear as crystal... the tree of life, which will bear fruit, and the leaves for the healing of the nations. 

No need for lamp, nor light of the sun, for the Lord will be the light.

No more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor pain.

Pure gold, like clear glass... precious stones of sapphire, emerald, amethyst, topaz... Twelve gates, each made of one pearl... A street of pure gold, like transparent glass...

A throne, and a sea of glass like crystal.  And a rainbow around the throne, like an emerald.

And angels and creatures and elders giving Him endless praise and glory. 

Let's want that.  All of it.  Soon.

~ "desire better:
      a heavenly country" ~
Hebrews 11:16

No comments:

Post a Comment