Monday, May 14, 2012

True strength is found in gentleness

"the kindness of God"
Romans 2:4 

I've been visiting my sister and her husband for a few days; staying at their house.  They've got a new cat since I was here last.  A sweet, gentle little Russian Blue.

"hi!"

She's very friendly, but cautiously so.  There were a lot of people here for a couple of days, so she spent most of the time under a bed.

But yesterday evening my nieces and one of my nephews left, and this morning my sister and her family (including my energetic 7-year-old nephew) left to go home.  That left just 5 of us, all adults.  So the kitty has been venturing out more today.


So I sat on the floor of the room this morning, waiting, and sure enough, her curiosity brought her near me.  I sat very still, reading, while she padded slowly in the room, and warily came over to me.  She sniffed my slippers a little, and then came close enough for me to pet her.  But I had to move slowly, too.  If I moved too fast, she would turn and run several feet away, and then watch me again.

Then later, everyone left the house but me, so I went out on the front porch to enjoy the weather here in the 41st parallel.  I left the front door open so kitty could see me, and I could see her.  Soon enough, she came and sat in the doorway, sniffing and looking around.

in her "happy place"...

But I knew she wasn't allowed outside, so I had to keep an eye on her.   And anytime she tentatively reached one paw out the door, I would wave my book at her, to frighten her a little, and make her back up into the house where she belonged. 

And I got to thinking about how different I am from a cat.  I have a lot more strength, and a lot more intelligence.  I'm a lot bigger, and so in order to win her trust, I have to pull back on my abilities.  I couldn't get up and tower over her.  I shouldn't run after her and try to grab her.  I might succeed, but it will slow down the progress of her trusting me.   And I could talk to her, but it had to be softly and gently, not with all the volume I could muster.  We had to form our relationship on her terms.

yawning... Cats do a lot of that

But when I was outside, I needed to scare her a little.  Going outside wasn't safe for her, so to do what was best for her, I needed to remind her that I am bigger and stronger.

Sound like God to you?  It does to me.  Sometimes when I get a glimpse of how awesome and mighty He is, I think if we really knew the depth of His power, it would scare us too much.  So He pulls back to meet us on our terms.

But when He sees His children wandering into a place that's unsafe them, He unleashes a little of His power, to try and stop us.  But even that is nothing compared to what He's capable of.  Strength, wisdom and power beyond ~ literally beyond ~ our comprehension.  And He already knows.  He doesn't need to brag, and He doesn't need to prove Himself.

And He wants a relationship with us.  So He shows us His compassion, His mercy, and His gentleness.   

And that, for many of us, is what drew us to Him, and keeps us near Him.

I have no explanation for this ~ it simply leaves me speechless...

~ "the kindness of God
        leads you to repentance" ~
Romans 2:4

No comments:

Post a Comment