Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't Stop Believin'

"according to the command of the Lord 
  they would journey"
Numbers 9:20

I got an upbeat message from a friend of mine today.  She's about my age; two kids; married for, I don't know, around 20 years I guess.  But several months ago, she and her husband decided to divorce.  I don't know any details, really.  It's what she wants, but it's hard to see any marriage end.  So it's bittersweet at best.  And along with getting a divorce, she went back to school.  So in the span of a few weeks, she's gotten her final divorce notice, and is on the cusp of earning her degree.

And right after that message, I got an upbeat message from another friend of mine.  This friend is maybe ten years older than I am.  My oldest is in high school whereas her last single child is getting married later this year.   Well, my friend had a biopsy yesterday, and it came back positive.  
I don't know any details, just that she has another doctor appointment in a few weeks, and after that I guess we'll know what the plan is for her treatment. 

And the timing, and the wording, of these two messages got me to thinking.  The first message said, "I just sat through my last lecture!  Three finals next week, and then this journey ends!  :-)"

A few minutes later came the other message, which said only, "Even so, bless His Name."  I was immediately struck with admiration for her faith in God, when she's just gotten this disquieting news. 

But my thought right after that was, "and for her, a journey is just beginning."

A journey ends.

A journey begins.

It's how it's always going to be. 

Because we've not arrived where we're going.

Chapter 9 of the Book of Numbers talks about the journey of the children of Israel.  About the cloud that covered the tabernacle in the tent of the Testimony.  When the cloud was above the tabernacle, they would pitch their tents and stay in that place.  And when the cloud was taken up from above the tabernacle, they would journey.  Verse 23 says, "At the command of the Lord they remained encamped, and at the command of the Lord they journeyed."

Sometimes He gives rest, but then at His command, it's time to journey again. 

And He will be with you.

~ "And the Lord went before them...
   to lead the way" ~
Exodus 13:21

No comments:

Post a Comment