Thursday, December 27, 2012

Giving what we receive

"we glorify God for your liberal sharing with us"
2 Corinthians 9:12-14

So we're visiting family this week.  The whole gang has gathered at my sister's house for some good old fashioned togetherness.  And plenty of it.

It's the first time in many years we have gone to my sister's for Christmas.  We are spread out over three states, but two of the families live in Southern California, so we gather there for holidays most years.

My sister is a wonderful decorator, and a great hostess, and the house has been beautifully and thoughtfully prepared.  I know she did an extra special job of making her house Christmassy in preparation for having us.  In the weeks before the visit, she was getting more and more exited about having us all come visit.  Every time I talked to her on the phone, she'd tell me again how much she couldn't wait, but I know it was only partially about seeing all of us.  After all, she sees all of us every Christmas.  This was also about being the hostess, and wanting us to experience the home she loves, and the town where she and her family love living. 

I just loved sharing in her anticipation.  I love that she wanted to show love to us in a way you can only when you offer your home to someone.  I love that she wanted to share what she loves with us. 

And I think God loved it, too.  Sharing the things that are important to us is a way of opening ourselves up to others.  His blessings to us become a blessing twice, when we bless others with them.  And I think He sees our appreciation for the things He has given us.  I think He loves watching us enjoy what He has blessed us with, like when we're excited about giving gifts on Christmas, more than receiving them.  It's a way of thanking Him when we share our blessings with others, whether it's our money, our time, or our homes.

Of course we should still say the words of gratitude to Him, but I'm so glad He sees our appreciation, for those times when we don't say it.

~ "He who supplies seed to the sower
and bread for food
will supply and multiply your seed for sowing
and increase the harvest of your righteousness.
You will be enriched in every way
to be generous in every way,
which through us will produce thanksgiving to God." ~
2 Corinthians 9:10-11
~

No comments:

Post a Comment