Friday, December 7, 2012

In the Wee, Small Hours

"the word of the Lord came to me"
Jeremiah 24:4

How'd you sleep last night?  Me, not so good.  It was one of those nights where my mind was too busy.  Do you ever have those? 

It's so weird, because even though my brain is crazy-busy, I'm well aware that my thoughts are useless.  It's not even productive thinking, just a thought that gets in my head and tumbles round and round.  Annoying....

I try to do some productive thinking, maybe give some thought to a decision that needs to be made, or maybe just try to focus my mind on Scripture, but somehow my mind keeps returning to whatever thought is in head.

So this morning, I finally just got up.  After spending time trying to fall back asleep, I gave up, and just decided to start my day. 

Of course, I didn't want to wake the Apple of my Eye.  He was going to have to get up in a couple hours.  But more than that, I also didn't want to wake our kitty.  She's quite obnoxious if she wakes up in the middle of the night, mrowing for food, or companionship, or just to be let out of our bedroom, where she sleeps. 

So I had to get up and tiptoe out of the room quietly, silently opening and closing our bedroom door.  And I needed to grab my robe and slippers, cuz it's cold at 4:30 in the morning!  But fortunately, that was easy.  I keep them in the same place, so even in the dark, I only have to reach out, and I know they'll be there. 

I was grateful for that, and it made me think about the Bible verses I can do that with, too.  You know, you just have those verses that you don't have to search for; they just belong to you. 

Sometimes you might not even know where to find them, but you know they're in there.  And you may not know the exact wording of them, but you know the message.   Those verses are warmth, comfort and security.  If you don't have some; get some! 

My Amazing Boy has been working hard this year to memorize Bible verses.  Every week he recites them to me ~ two a week.  And I told him the other day how proud I am of him, but more than that, how excited I am.  Every time he memorizes something out of the Bible, he's tucking it away in his heart.  And then when he needs it, it will be close at hand.  Especially in the middle of the night!

~ "Man shall not live by bread alone; 
but by every word that proceeds
   from the mouth of the Lord" ~
Deuteronomy 8:3
~

No comments:

Post a Comment