Monday, June 17, 2013

Trusting

"What confidence is this in which you trust?"
2 Kings 18:19

So, did you see Readers' Digest recent poll of the most trusted people in America?  Interesting.... I think that the majority of people's first choice was their doctor, lawyer or priest, which is good to know.  But when it comes to celebrities, the top 100 included a lot of actors, news anchors, and other folks on TV.  There were also directors, Supreme Court Justices, CEOs and several folks I'd never heard of. 

I don't know how Readers' Digest phrased the question, but I was really so surprised to see some of the names on the list.  I suppose people see Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock on talk shows and think they have a pretty good feel for what kind of people they are.  And maybe they do. 

And Supreme Court Justices are all about speaking the truth, sticking with their beliefs, so I guess it makes sense to believe that they're probably not going to lie to us. 

But CEOs?  Politicians? 

The other thing we don't know about the question that was asked of over 1,000 Americans, is what those people thought when they heard the word "trust".   Trust not to lie?  Trust to not disappoint in the theater?

But of those 100 people, I can't trust any of them to be there for me if I need them.  I have never had to rely on them, never had the chance to shake their hands or take them at their word.

Reading about this list made me think about my family, any one of whom would get on a plane and come if I needed them.  And the friends I would call if I had a late-night need for prayer.  And the trust and understanding I have in my husband, my daughter and my son. 

Reliability.  Truth.  Strength.  Honesty.  Trust has to be proven, otherwise it's just hope. 

The Lord is where we put our faith, but there's such blessing in those He has given us; in trusting, and in being someone that others can trust.  It's a little glimpse of Him in others!

~ "Some trust in chariots,
and some in horses;
But we will remember the name
of the Lord our God." ~
Psalm 20:7
~

No comments:

Post a Comment