Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I'll have to settle for a copy of the Declaration of Independence

"the flower of the field"
Isaiah 40:6

I live in California, but a few years ago, my family and I took a wonderful trip to the East Coast.  We saw parts of New Jersey, Philadelphia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, DC and Ohio.  We toured Presidents' homes and government buildings, monuments and battlefields.  We also went to five baseball games, two amusement parks and an aquarium.  We're nothing if not well-rounded.

One of the places we visited was Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.  Beautiful place.  The house, the grounds, the gardens... all of it.  And I have such great memories of our visit there, because you have to buy tickets ahead of time, and you have to have an appointment.  I guess it's that busy.


But because of road construction, and the fact that we were driving all the way from Jamestown, we were late.  So when we got there, we joined our tour of the house, which was already in progress, so we missed the first two rooms.  But after our tour, our guide spoke to the lady in charge, and they allowed us to join another tour for long enough to see those rooms we'd missed.  I was really impressed with that.  People are not always so accommodating, you know?


Anyhow, instead of remembering that day as one of frustration and anxiety and rushing, I remember their kindness.  It contributed to my overall enjoyment of the day and all that was so interesting and intriguing and beautiful about Monticello.


Even though that was a few years ago, I still frequently about Monticello.   Either because we had ordered our tickets, or because we purchased something in the gift shop, they have my email address, and every few days I get an email from them, letting me know what their weekly specials are. 

It's kind of fun to look through the emails when I get them, even though I know I'm not going to buy anything.  China, home decor, decorations for the garden, etc. 


The most interesting things, though, are the plants.  Jefferson was very interested in botany, so the idea of being able to plant something in my own garden, a bit of something he had in his garden, is so intriguing. 

But it's also impossible. 


Because as I mentioned, I live in California, one of the five states to which Monticello cannot ship plants.  Those of you in Canada are also out of luck.  California ~ and I suppose it's the same for Hawaii, Arizona, Oregon and Washington ~ is very concerned about the insects and micro-organisms that could harm the agricultural this-and-that here, so they are very strict about the plants that cross the border. 


I wish I could order plants from Monticello.  But they're not for me.  And even if California would let them in, they probably wouldn't grow well here.  So that's how it has to be.  So I don't covet them.  I understand they're just not for me.  I can't have a pet penguin, either. 


There's a lot of beauty where I am.  Everywhere I look.  It's nice to be able to appreciate the beauty in others' lives, without thinking it's not "fair" that I can't have it, too.   If we choose to live like that, there will always be something that someone else has that we want. 

So we can want what we can't have, or we can simply want what we have.

~ "One thing have I desired of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord" ~
Psalm 27:4
~

2 comments:

  1. I thought of this verse:

    "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

    --Philippians 4:11 (emphasis mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... gives a whole new meaning to a verse I already loved! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete