Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Veggie Tales


"give us vegetables to eat"

Daniel 1:12

I love Brussels sprouts.  I'll just say that up front.

I also love broccoli and cauliflower and zucchini and asparagus.

But I married someone who doesn't love Brussels sprouts, and I gave birth to a person who doesn't love zucchini, and one who doesn't love asparagus.   So I've done lots of experimenting with preparing and cooking those veggies for the non-lovers.

It's fun for me to experiment, because I like the veggies, and I'm going to enjoy them however I prepare them.  But the challenge is to see if I can't pull off something to please everyone.

For broccoli, I steam them for a few minutes, then saute them in a skillet with a little butter and oil.  The key is to not toss them around too much.  Let them sit still long enough to char the little florets a touch.  Gives them a nice crispy texture, and a little brown (not black) is a good thing.  Brown = flavor.  Then a slight sprinkling of salt over the whole thing.  My family loves it.

For cauliflower, I cut the head up into manageable chunks, and then steam them.  Then when it's nice and soft, I puree the whole thing in a food processor, with some salt and milk or buttermilk or sour cream or butter or Parmesan or cheddar or ranch dressing powder or maybe even a little bacon.... the possibilities are endless.   My family loves it.  My Amazing Boy is so crazy about it that he'll do the whole process for himself sometimes, and eat it for lunch. 

And I recently learned a new way of cooking Brussels sprouts that has made them one of my favorite veggies to cook, simply because of the novelty.  I shred them (raw) in a food processor, and then saute all that confetti in a little oil.  You can just sprinkle them with a little salt, or you can add chopped bacon or pancetta, or you can add some garlic or Parmesan cheese or even a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar.  Lots of choices there!

There's a way to enjoy what you don't enjoy.  You just have to change your approach to it.  Sort of the "spoonful of sugar" thinking.  

And you might argue with me, but I believe everyone can like Brussels sprouts.  Or broccoli.  Or whatever it is you avoid.  Or if you can't like them, at least you can make them palatable.  There is simply some stuff we have to get through in this life.  Stuff that's good for us.  Full of vitamins and minerals and nutrients and character and wisdom and spiritual growth. 

You are welcome, even encouraged to pray that the bad in your life will go away.  But if it doesn't, then ask Him for the strength necessary to get through it.  And ask Him to change your perspective.


And if all else fails, add some bacon. 


~ "Listen carefully to Me,
and eat what is good,
and let your soul delight itself" ~
Isaiah 55:2
~

3 comments:

  1. Well, I too love* Brussels sprouts and brocolli and cauliflower and zucchini and asparagus.

    Beets, not so much.

    *Or, rather, as my Dad told me, and I have never forgotten it, "you like them a lot. You can't love something that can't love you back."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me in a rare misspelling: I meant broccoli, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote from your dad. Interesting point. And I share your feelings on beets!

    ReplyDelete