Monday, June 3, 2013

A Time to Sit and a Time to Stand.... Part 3

"Position yourselves"
2 Chronicles 20:17

Today we're looking at part three of my mini-mini-series on positions in the Bible.  For the previous positions, you can click here:  sitting  or here:  standing 

Today's position is walking.  But before we look at the verses that refer to that position, I want to celebrate the different definitions...

Walking means moving at a regular, fairly slow pace.  It means lifting one leg at a time, never both feet at once.  It is done for recreation, for travel, for exercise and it also refers to the way in which a person lives.
~

So, the most basic definition of walking, of course, 
is simply getting from here to there.  
Here are a couple of verses that speak to that:

Deuteronomy 6:7 ~ "You shall teach His words diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."

John 5:8 ~ "Jesus said to him, 'Rise, take up your bed and walk.' ”

Matthew 11:5 ~ "The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them." 

The use of the word "walk" in these verses implies that it is understood that we will.  Moving and going is intended to be part of our daily life.
~

But the word is also used a little more poetically than that.  
Actually, a lot more poetically than that.  
For instance:

Exodus 18:20 ~ "And you shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do."

Deuteronomy 8:6 ~ "Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him."

Ephesians 2:10 ~ "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

There's a sense of determination about the word "walk" in these verses.  These verses about living one's life.  And the question is, are you determined to live it for Him?
~

And those verses up there, 
go hand-in-hand with these verses down here:

Genesis 24:40 ~ "When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless."

Exodus 16:4 ~ "Then the Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you. And the people shall go out and gather a certain quota every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in My law or not."

Leviticus 18:4 ~ "You shall observe My judgments and keep My ordinances, to walk in them: I am the Lord your God."

Ezekiel 20:19 ~ "I am the Lord your God: Walk in My statutes, keep My judgments, and do them" 

It's about living your life in obedience.  
~

Q:  So how do we live in obedience?

2 Chronicles 6:14 ~ Lord God of Israel, there is no God in heaven or on earth like You, who keep Your covenant and mercy with Your servants who walk before You with all their hearts."

Micah 6:8 ~ "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?"

Galatians 5:25 ~ "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." 

A:  By walking with Him.
~

And when the road gets difficult ~ which it will...

Psalm 23:4 ~ "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

Psalm 138:7 ~  "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand Against the wrath of my enemies, And Your right hand will save me."

Psalm 84:11 ~ "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly."

Isaiah 43:2 ~ "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you."

... then walking with Him will give us what we need to persevere...
~

but even more than persevere...

Habakkuk 3:19 ~ " The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.To the Chief Musician. With my stringed instruments."

Isaiah 30:21 ~ "Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,” Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.' "

Isaiah 40:31 ~ "But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint."

.... we will prevail.


~ "Arise, walk in the land
through its length and its width, 
for I give it to you" ~
Genesis 13:17

~ "Oh come let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the Lord our Maker" ~
Psalm 95:6
~

No comments:

Post a Comment