Saturday, June 8, 2013

Grateful for sacrifice, whether mine or others'

"Remember the days of old"
Deuteronomy 32:7

The other day was the anniversary of D-Day.  June 6th, 1944.  I'm always aware of the date when June 6 rolls around.  It's never on a calendar, and it's not a national holiday, but it's one of those dates that sticks in my mind for its importance in history.

And then that night my son and I were watching the Dodger game when Vin Scully changed the subject from baseball just a little.  He can always be counted on for a brief history lesson when it's warranted.   Just like he can be counted on to recite "Flanders Field" every Memorial Day.

Vinny ~ yes, I call him Vinny... he never heard of me, but technically we're family.  My second cousin is married to his daughter.  True story.  Plus, all season long it feels like he's in my living room chatting about baseball.  He just has a way of making his listeners feel like his friends.

Anyhow, Vinny spoke directly to the "youngsters" who were listening, and he told them the history of June 6, 1944.  About the paratroopers, and the troops wading ashore on Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword Beaches.  He talked about the planning, the courage, and the casualties.

I generally don't think about the casualties when I think about history.  I think about the courage and honor and obedience of those who put on a uniform and march in where common sense tells them not to.  But I don't consciously think about how many died. 

I don't forget about them, mind you.  That would be wrong.  That would not honor them.  It's just that I think more about what they accomplished.  About the greater good, and the victory that was their goal. 

There are things in life, painful things, that are for a greater good.  For a higher purpose.  That's what sacrifice is about.

Sometimes, we don't understand.  I mean, sometimes, like those soldiers, we choose to sacrifice.  But when we aren't the ones choosing the pain, then it's a matter of trusting that what He allows is for a reason. 

So I appreciated Vinny reminding me.  Because when it's my pain, I remember; sometimes to the point of missing the good that results.  But when the sacrifice was someone else's, it's easy to focus only on the good that was accomplished, and forget about the pain. 

Either way, I need to have His perspective.  Appreciating detail, while also choosing to see the big picture.   And if I can't see the big picture, then it ought to be enough for me that I know He does.

~ "Ascribe greatness to our God.
He is the Rock,
His work is perfect" ~
Deuteronomy 32:4
~

No comments:

Post a Comment