Saturday, May 28, 2011

Today, too, is the day He has made

"Be still, and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10

Wow, what a day.  It wasn't horrible, it wasn't crazy, it was just an odd day.  But it turned out to be a day where I just couldn't seem to find God.  I barely thought about Him.  I hate those kinds of days.

Usually, I think the days we tend to ignore God are the good days.  Sometimes, on our best days, we feel we don't need Him, ya know?  Like spending the day at Disneyland...


or being in Hawaii...


On days like that, my thoughts and prayers and acknowledgements of God might be brief shouts of praise, thanking Him for my family, and for the blessings we are enjoying.   But I don't seem to find the time for meditating on Him.

But today wasn't a wonderful day at Disneyland, or Hawaii.  It was just a regular day in the middle of my life; but a weird one.  My plans for the day were de-railed early on when the Apple of my Eye asked me to run an errand for him first thing.   Though he didn't pressure me, I knew he wanted it done as soon as possible, but I was hesitant to wake the kids up too much earlier than their usual time.  Awesome Girl has always had trouble falling asleep at night, so it's always a balancing act to let her sleep long enough in the morning so that she's gotten enough sleep; yet not so long that she's gonna have trouble the next night.  Which she is anyway....

But this morning, it turned out that Amazing Boy was the one who was hard to get up.  He's usually up with a bound, smiling and ready to start the day, so since he was sleeping longer than usual, I figured he must need it.  So I felt torn between gettin' a move-on, and letting him steal a few more minutes.

Once they were up, we ran the errand, but of course I figured I should run a couple other errands while we were out.  So by the time we were back home, I was starving (having not managed breakfast for myself before we left), plus I wanted to get started with schooling asap.  I noticed when my kids were little that if school was not my #1 priority, I'd find myself putting it off until I got "a few things done" and before I knew it, we didn't do school that day at all.

But as I sat down to teach, I realized I wasn't feeling well.  You know when you have a barely recognizable "tickle" in your throat, and you think:  uh oh.....  and it all went downhill from there.  I was moving slowly, trying to get some dishes done, move ahead on the laundry, running another errand that had to be done today, and making several phone calls (business, not pleasure) but all the while feeling lethargic, and knowing I wasn't getting as much done as I'd needed to today.

Where is God on a day like that?  Where is He in the midst of a day when even deciding what to have for lunch seems like too much work?

He is in today's verse, "be still and know that I am God."

He is in Hebrews 13:5  "I will never leave you"

He is in Matthew 11:28  "I will give you rest"

And He is in Exodus 3:14   "I Am"

I can certainly rest in that.

~ "He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul." ~
Psalm 23:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment