Monday, May 16, 2011

And don't forget the "thank you" card...

"His blessing"
Psalm 133:3

We have a funny Christmas tradition in my family.   Stockings hung by the mantle with care were never really a tradition for us.  We did a few variations on it, but the one that has stuck started when I was about 15.  Dad had gotten Mom a mink coat for her birthday, in mid-December, and on Christmas morning, after all the presents had been opened, Mom brought out that box.  She set it in front of my two sisters and me, and took off the lid.  Inside were a plethora of small gifts, like socks, hair bands, earrings and the like.   Mostly there were three of everything, and we'd grab for the color we wanted the most.


But there were also unique items.  Jewelry or home decor (once we'd moved out) that she'd chosen especially for each of us.   And after the excitement of grabbing our treasures out of the box, there'd be one or two things about which she'd tell us, "Well, I bought that one thinking of you," and we'd happily switch.  Almost always, we could see why she'd chosen that particular one for our sister.  We'd agree with Mom, and exchange so that things ended up where Mom had desired.

The things I grabbed from the box were the things that appealed to me, but sometimes that didn't mean they were meant for me.  Would I rather have what had been specially chosen for me?  You bet.   Even if, at first glance, I preferred another color, it was outweighed by the fact that I would rather have what had been chosen for me.

We might walk through this world grabbing for, or wishing we could reach, that which we desire.  That job, that spouse, that opportunity, that pathway.   It looks good to us, we think it would be perfect for us, maybe we even have been wanting it for a long time.   But God has a better plan.  There are things in my life I'd prefer over what I have.  But I honestly believe that I'm better off with what He has chosen for me.   Is there anyone who loves you more than your mom?  Who knows you better?  Who wants the best for your life, more than she does?   There sure is.  Your heavenly Father.

Trust Him.  And thank Him.

~ "The Lord bestows His blessing, 
even life evermore." ~
Psalm 133:3

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post. What a wonderful analogy, and a perspective I hadn't thought of. I know he knows better than I do what is best for me, but tying it to my personal desires in such a simple and clear way is a little lightbulb for me, and something I needed right now! Thanks! Love you! (before you know it....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too! Glad you liked it; it's a good lesson for me, too!

    ReplyDelete