Friday, May 13, 2011

A voice not lifted up, is a voice down low

“they lifted up their voice”
2 Chronicles 5:13


I don’t think I listened to any music today.  That realization comes as a shock to me somehow.  I would have thought that a day doesn’t go by without my listening to something.  But then it occurs to me that I generally only listen to music in the car.  I love my ipod, and how even though I don’t know what’s coming next, I know it’s gonna be one of my favorite songs.  :)   But that’s in my car all the time.  I could listen to the songs on my computer, but I just don’t think of it, unless it’s December.  Then I play my Christmas music all day long. 

So if I didn’t listen to any music, then I didn’t sing.  I love singing ~ my whole family does.  My mom and my sisters and I, and both my kids, too.  We are all singers.  Choirs, camping, road trips, family celebrations… we don’t need much of an excuse.   If one of us starts, the others are going to join in!  It makes me sad to realize that I didn’t sing at all today.

And if I didn’t sing today, well then I didn’t worship Him today.  I know that singing is not the only way to worship Him.  Words, actions, thoughts, and certainly prayers are all forms of worship.  But singing is somehow uniquely worshipful.  I guess because it makes me feel something, while I’m conveying praise to Him

I read someplace that you should start your day with music.  I think I’m going to try to do that.  And punctuate my day with music, too.  It’s something I’d like to do for Him, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to do something for me, too.

~ “ the trumpeters and singers were as one, 
to make one sound to be heard 
in praising and thanking the Lord, 
and when they lifted up their voice 
with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, 
and praised the Lord, 
saying “For He is good, For His mercy endures forever,” 
that the house, the house of the Lord, 
was filled with a cloud… 
for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God.” ~
2 Chronicles 5:13-14

1 comment:

  1. Well, after three weeks, I still have songs from Elijah popping into my head at odd times, does that count as worship? ;) And while my ipod is only playing U2 right now (10 days people!!) One of my favorite songs that is about using music to worship is called The Spirit Helps Us/Praise the Lord by Rene Clausen from the album A New Creation. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete