Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lost... but listening!

"We will die!  We are lost, we are all lost!"
Numbers 17:12

Well, those of you who know me are probably surprised I haven't touched on this issue yet, but here it is.

I got lost the other day.

It's a tendency of mine.  That doesn't mean it happens a lot, but I really can't take credit for that.  I can follow directions, so I do that.   If I don't know where I need to go, I find out beforehand.

Unfortunately, when I got lost the other day, I was headed someplace I've been to many, many times.  I'm not even going to tell you what day it was, or where I was headed, cuz the Apple of my Eye will never let me hear the end of it, if he knows....

The problem was, I tried to go a different way.  I tried to go a faster way.  Well, I didn't try to go a different way.  I definitely did that.  But faster?  Nuh-uh.  Lost is never fast.  And fortunately I wasn't as panicked as our friends the Israelites in this quote from Numbers.  I just thought that was a funny quote for our theme today.   :)    I knew I'd find where I wanted to be, it just took longer.

I should have just done what I know.   I should not have veered from the path I knew, without directions.   It was impulsive.   And frankly, it reminded me that I'm in danger of doing that spiritually.  Lately, I've been thinking I should go a different way in one area of my life.  I don't know if I'm bored or frustrated, or just not feeling fulfilled, but I've been thinking of making a change.  Fortunately, I've been praying about it a lot, and recognizing that He's not leading me that way.  I don't have directions to go down another path, so I need to stay on this path.   In Matthew 14, when Peter walked on the water, he was fine as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus.  As soon as he looked down at the water, he began to sink.    The lesson for me?  Eyes on Him, full speed ahead!


~ "But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold." ~
Psalm 73:2

No comments:

Post a Comment