Friday, May 6, 2011

Whistle While You Work

"Caleb quieted the people before Moses, 
and said, 'Let us go up at once and take possession, 
for we are well able to overcome it.'...  
If the Lord delights in us,
 He will bring us into this land and give it to us, 
'a land which flows with milk and honey.'"
Numbers 13:30, Joshua 13:7-8

I was sweeping the backyard this morning, and found myself thinking of one of my heroes in Scripture.  The days have been hot lately, but it was so cool outside first thing in the morning.  And naturally, as I swept, I thought of Caleb.  

Wouldn't you?

Are you familiar with Caleb?  Maybe not.  He’s not really one of the more famous figures in Scripture.  But if there were an Academy Award category for "Best Supporting or Lesser-Known Bible Heroes," he’d be a shoo-in. 

What does the expression "shoo-in" mean?  It's also spelled "shoe-in" but what shoe, in where?  Does it have to do with a horse?  Does it have to do with the Hokey-Pokey?  I’ll have to give that some thought... 

Thank you for joining me as I wondered and wandered, now let’s go back to Caleb. 

I studied the Book of Joshua several years ago, and came away with a very high opinion of Caleb as someone whose character I'd like to emulate.   In Numbers 13, Caleb and Joshua were sent, with ten others, to scout out the land of Canaan.  They all came back with glowing reports of Canaan, but most of the men were pessimistic about the strength of the people who lived there, and the ability of the Israelites to take possession of the land.    Caleb and Joshua were the only ones with faith enough to know that God would bring them all into that land.

Then, in the Book of Joshua, Joshua becomes the leader of the Israelites after the death of Moses, and as Caleb had served faithfully under Moses, he also served faithfully under Joshua, without ever wondering why it was Joshua that was promoted, and not him.  After all, Caleb had been the one to speak up first about their ability to defeat the giants in the land of Canaan.   But no, we saw no jealousy in Caleb.  

So that's one reason I admire him.  But it's not the reason I thought of him while sweeping.

We see Caleb again in Joshua chapter 14.  He has come to Joshua, and asked for the portion of land that Moses had promised him, as a reward for his faithfulness.  Claiming that land was going to mean driving out those who were living there, but Caleb was ready for that challenge.  Now here's the thing:  Moses had made that promise forty years earlier, when Caleb was 45.  Now he was 85.  In verse 11, he said, "I am as strong this day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war... therefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day...the cities are great and fortified.  It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the Lord said."

That's why I admire Caleb.  Because at 85 years old, he still had the trust in God to forge ahead.  The promise the Lord had made him, through Moses, was going to be accompanied by hard work, and by battles, and Caleb was ready for it.  He was not afraid.

Oh, the sweeping?  Well here's the thing.  When we first moved into our house several years ago, my hubby ~ the Apple of my Eye ~ used to love taking out the trash.  Weird?  Maybe a little, but it just reminded him that he had become a homeowner.  Up until that time, we had emptied our trash into dumpsters, but these were our very own trashcans, that we dragged down to our very own curb.  There was pride, and an awareness of the fact that Lord had blessed us with a house.    That's how I felt sweeping today.  Just an appreciation of the home we have, and even an appreciation for the work it requires.  There are many blessings that come only after hard work ~ like giving birth after months of pregnancy and hours of labor.   But there are also blessings that come with hard work.  Caleb wanted the blessing, the fulfillment of the promise, even knowing the work that would accompany it.   How much do you want the blessing, and how hard are you willing to work once you get it?

~ "Arise and begin working, and the Lord be with you." ~
1 Chronicles 22:16  

No comments:

Post a Comment