Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Growing up doesn't just mean growing old

"the boy Samuel continued to grow 
in stature and in favor 
with the Lord and with men."
1 Samuel 2:26

This verse has always been special to me.  I have used it many times when I pray for my children, especially when they were little.  I don't pray that they'll be wealthy or successful, or that one of them will grow up to be President of the United States.  I mean, those things would be great, but I don't pray for that, ya know?  I pray that my Awesome Girl and my Amazing Boy will grow in stature and in favor with the Lord, and so with others.

The word "stature" can apply either to one's height, or one's achievement in life, but this verse has always made me think of the basic definition:  height.  In that definition, it makes me think that Samuel grew not only spiritually, but physically.  I don't picture him as another Samson or anything, just strong and tall.  And I think this represents what is often a mother's first prayer for her baby:  for her child to grow up strong and healthy.

Have you ever wandered through a cemetery?  Either looking for the one whose memory you came to honor, or else just strolling?  A cemetery can be a very peaceful, tranquil place.  And very interesting!  You look at a tombstone, and you see those two dates:  the year of birth, and the year of death.  Eight numbers, and that little dash in between.  I look at those numbers, and I already know something about this person.  I know how old they were, or how young, and it either impresses me, or makes my heart ache.  I look at the year they were born, and then I know they lived through the Great Depression, or the Vietnam War.  I might look at the year they died, and notice that they never felt the pain of the attacks on September 11.

I might also notice if the last digit is the same in both years, and think how interesting if a person lived exactly 50 or even 100 years.  And what about those lifespans that start with 18-- and end in 19--.  I think, "Isn't that amazing, to have lived in two different centuries?  To have crossed over the threshold into a new century!  And all the changes they saw, in technology, politics and world geography!"  And then it occurs to me with a little surprise that I, too, have lived in two centuries.  But that doesn't seem as remarkable to me.  It's just my life, that's all.

But take away that four digit number that tells you when they were born.  And take away that four digit number that tells you when they died.  And what's left?  That dash.  In between the birth and the death ~ is life.  The Lord only knows all that that mark details.

A life well-lived is a life of joy, pain, love, laughter, and tears.  But a life pleasing to Him is a life in which we grow, both in stature, and in favor, with our Lord, and with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment