Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thoughts

I had to wear my "back-up" jeans today.  I try to save my good jeans for when I want to look nice, and my hang-around-the-house-or-run-errands jeans were in the wash. So I had to settle for my old jeans; the ones I've hung on to "just in case."  But I kinda hate having to wear them.  They don't fit me that well anymore (they're a little too big, I'm happy to say) and the color has faded to a kind of sloppy look, you know?  And I thought, what a pity to have to put on the old, when I have newer and better.   This is true spiritually, too.

~ "You have taken off your old self, with its practices, 
and have put on the new self, 
which is being renewed 
in knowledge in the image of its Creator." ~
Colossians 3:9-10



 My Awesome Girl had to eat breakfast on the run today.  She had planned on grabbing a carton of yogurt to eat in the car, but we were out of the kind she likes.  She had to settle for the only yogurt we had in the house ~ the plain, nonfat yogurt.  But she didn't complain a bit.  I was proud of her for that.  She knew she needed nourishment for her morning, and this was the option she had.  So she ate what God provided.

~ "Your Father knows the things you have need of... therefore pray:
'Give us this day our daily bread'" ~
Matthew 6:8-9,11


I worked at Disneyland when I was fresh out of high school.  On the first day of work, I had orientation, and the first thing they gave each of us was a book full of everything we needed to know.  No matter what department you were hired for, you got the same book.  Information on how to dress, how to treat guests, the things that were important to know.   In the same way, the Bible is the book for all of us, that tells us everything we need to know to live a life pleasing to Him.

~ "All Scripture is inspired by God 
and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, 
for training in righteousness; 
so that the children of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." ~
2 Timothy 3:16-17


I have been blessed enough to have gone on a few amazing vacations over the past several years.  And almost every day, for some reason, I find myself fondly remembering some aspect of one of those vacations.   But if you asked me which vacation memory is my favorite, I couldn't tell you.  I have memories that fill me with indescribable joy.   I feel the same way when I think of what heaven will be like.

~ "Behold, a throne set in heaven, 
and One sat on the throne... 
and there was a rainbow around the throne... 
and before the throne there was a sea of glass, 
like crystal... 
the gates were of pearl, 
and the street of the city was pure gold, 
as it were transparent glass... 
the city had no need of the sun, 
or the moon to shine in it, 
for the glory of the Lord illuminated it, 
the Lamb is its light." ~
 from the Book of Revelation



Every day, you should drink, steal, swear and lie.  Drink from the "cup of living water"; Steal a moment to do something for someone else; Swear that you will be a better person than you were yesterday; Lie down at night thanking God for all He has done for you. 

~ I didn't create that, but I thought it was funny! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment