Monday, October 3, 2011

Do not turn to the right or to the left ~ unless He tells you to

"He will be our guide"
Psalm 48:14

My daughter was Jesus to me today.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I love it when my kids remind me of Jesus.   They say something that He would say ~ or did say... or do something that He would do ~ or did do... or remind me of a lesson that God has been trying to teach me.

We were headed to a baseball game, and it was just the two of us.  The Apple of my Eye and my Amazing Boy had gone ahead, to be there for practice.  Now this game was in a city a few towns south of us.  I really only have cause to be in this town three or four times a year, so I don't know my way around very well.  And, in this particular area, the street names are Spanish, to echo the Spanish heritage of the area.  They are generally very pretty sounding, but because they are not words that are already in my vocabulary, like "Main Street" or "Elm Street", they are hard to remember.

So I knew where to get off the freeway, but that was it.  My Awesome Girl guided me, looking at the directions I had printed out before we left.  Then we stopped to get some lunch, but before we got going again, I took a glance at the directions.  I'm a visual learner, so I like to see things in print.

We were only a few turns away from our destination, so I said the directions out loud to myself, so I'd remember them:  "right on Elche; left on Terrassa; right on Almerica.... right on Elche; left on Terrassa; right on Almerica...."  My sweet girl looked at me for a minute and then said patiently, "You don't have to memorize them, Mom.  I'm right here."

I laughed a little, but realized she was right.  I had her right there to coach me.  She can read.  And she has taken Spanish!  Why was I trying to carry this whole load myself?   And it sounded like something Jesus would say.  Why are you trying to do this on your own?  I'm right here.  Why are you trying to memorize everything that has to be done?  I'm here to guide you.  

How often do we not even ask for guidance?  Because we don't want it; or because we don't trust it; or because we don't think we need it.  God has given us free will, which means if we choose not to seek His guidance, He won't force it on us.  But if we want His guidance, we need only seek Him in His Word, and in prayer.  He promises to lead us, and to bring to our remembrance the things we need to know at the time we need to know them.

We don't need to remember everything.  All we need to remember is that He is with us.


~ "For this God is our God for ever and ever;
He will be our guide even to the end." ~
Psalm 48:14

No comments:

Post a Comment