Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A win-win situation

"Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done"
Matthew 6:10

Would you believe I've learned another lesson from baseball?  I must love that sport more than I think.  Or, I love it as much as I think I do, there's just more to learn from it than I thought...

This time, though, my lesson is not from my Amazing Boy's little league, it's from the big boys.  Major League Baseball.  Cuz it's World Series time!  Nothin' better than October baseball!  Yup... the Fall Classic.  Always enjoyable, no matter who is playing, cuz it's excellent baseball.

But I'm really enjoying it this year, because I love these two teams.  The Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals.  Neither of them is "my" team, but they are two of my favorites.  I don't think I've ever before wanted a World Series to go the full seven games.  If it's my team playing, then I want my team to win ~ as soon as possible.  I don't want to have to be nervous, so I'm hoping for a four-game sweep for my team.  If it's not my team, then I just pick a winner, and root for them, and however long it goes, and whoever wins, then, oh well.

But this year I'm hoping it will go the full seven games, so that I can enjoy as much baseball as possible before the off-season begins.  And here's the best part:  I want either team to win.  Now, that's not the same as, "I don't care who wins."  I do care.  No matter which team wins, it will mean that one of my favorite teams won the World Series!  I can't lose!

And I think that this is exactly how God wants us.  Not about baseball, though ~ about life.   Most of us who love the Lord say we want His will.  But how often do we, really?   I think most of the time, we want our will, and we hope it's His.  We tend to make plans, and then ask Him to bless them.  But I've got this attitude toward the World Series:  "I'll be happy either way."  Now, wouldn't God just love it if I said that to Him?  Not just, "I'll accept Your decision, whatever it is," but "I'll will be equally excited no matter what happens in this situation.  You go, God!"

To be honest, I don't know how to do that.  There's no switch I can flip to make this change in my heart and mind.  But wanting to be like that is half the battle.  That's my half.  Cuz it's all about willpower.  My will, and His power.

~ "May God fill you with the knowledge of His will,
through all the wisdom and understanding 
that the Spirit gives" ~
Colossians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment