Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I've got plenty of sauce, too...

"the Author and Finisher of our faith"
Hebrews 12:2

Remember I told you a couple months ago that my in-laws had moved?  Although I miss them, that made for a nice discovery this morning.  See, the other night, when I made dinner,  I used up all the pasta we had in the house.  I'm not planning on going to the store for several days, and pasta is really a staple in our house.  The kids and I are home all day, every day, so it's somebody's lunch at least once a week.  Maybe more.  And maybe breakfast, too.  (That would be my Awesome Girl, who thinks there's no reason why lunch and dinner foods can't be breakfast, too.)  And normally I'd keep some extra in the pantry, but, well, you know how it goes sometimes...

So it's unusual for us to be without pasta in the cupboard.  We'll manage, of course; it's just odd.  But this morning, Awesome Girl went looking for some more granola (yes, she likes breakfast foods for breakfast, too) for her yogurt.  We looked way back on the highest shelf of the pantry (where the stuff is hard to see) and guess what I found ~ pasta. 

When my in-laws moved, they gave us a lot of the surplus from their pantry.  When you're moving halfway across the country, the last thing you want to pay movers for, is a box labeled pasta...  So they gave us quite a bit, which I stuck in the back of the pantry, and forgot about.  And this morning I discovered I have a whole lotta pasta.  And I thought to myself, "Huh... I wonder what else I have that I don't know I have..."

And the answer to that is:  more than I think.  I think that sometimes, spiritually, we think we're low on something, or lacking something we need.  Like peace.  Or courage.  Or wisdom. 

Or maybe you think you don't have the talent, skill, or gift for what He has set before you.  Maybe you think you're missing the gift of teaching, or hospitality, or compassion.

But you're not.  You may not know that you have what you need, but you do.  It's just way in the back, waiting to be used.  And the reason you don't know you have it, is that you think it originates with you.  But you're not the source of anything good in you.  He is your supply, and He is never-ending. 

~ "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God... 
that the man of God may be complete, 
thoroughly equipped for every good work." ~
2 Timothy 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment