Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One, two, buckle my.... slipper?

"having shod your feet 
with the preparation of the gospel of peace"
Ephesians 6:15

I wore my slippers today while running an errand.  I didn't realize it until I was almost to my destination.  My reaction was "oops" followed by "oh well".  It was just the one errand, and let's face it, I probably wasn't the first one to do it, so workers there didn't seem to bat an eye as I completed my errand. 

But do you know how it happened?  How did I leave the house in my slippers; not even notice I didn't have actual shoes on?  I think it's because they were so comfortable.  I'm not really used to wearing slippers.  The Apple of my Eye bought them for me for Christmas.  Normally I would just wear socks around the house, and then slip on shoes to run an errand.  But now I've got these nice comfy slippers, and warm cozy toes.  And the fact that I was so comfortable led me to believe everything was as it should be.

But it was not how I wanted to be seen by others.  That's not my best me, if you will.  But if I want my best me to be what's shown to others, then my best needs to be my default.  If I let myself get comfortable with being.... comfortable, then that's what's going to seem normal.  And I mean that spiritually, too.  Gossip isn't okay just because I'm with a close friend... just because I know she won't judge me for it.  Judging others isn't okay just because I don't say it out loud.  Criticizing my family isn't okay just because it's in the privacy of our home.  The me God wants me to be, is the me God always wants me to be.  I can't let myself get comfortable with anything less.

No matter how cozy my toes might be....

~ "Keep sound wisdom
and discretion
So they will be life to your soul...
Then you will walk safely in your way,
And your foot will not stumble" ~
Proverbs 3:21,22,23

No comments:

Post a Comment