Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I finally figured out how this mirror works...

"you sin"
James 2:9

I've got a friend who's struggling with guilt ~ which I kinda think is a terrible way to start the New Year.  She did something for which she's having trouble forgiving herself.  It was awhile ago, but there are some mistakes that haunt us more than others.

And that line right there ~ "there are some mistakes that haunt us more than others" ~ has got me thinking.  You see, my friend committed one of the "big" sins.  You know the ones.  The scandalous ones.  The ones that make us whisper as we rush to tell someone.  Aren't we awful?  We call it passing on a prayer request, but it's veiled gossip. 

But really, there are no "big" sins.  There are only sins.   James said "whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."  So, have you stumbled at any one point of the law?  Lying?  (Even a little one.)  Gossip?  Fear?  Judging?

Me too. 

So the question is not why my friend is still struggling with guilt over her "big" sin, but why aren't I feeling any guilt over my "little" sins?

But now I'm not only feeling guilty about my little sins, I'm also feeling guilty about not having felt guilty.  But maybe that's a pretty good way to start the New Year.

~ "There is now, therefore, no condemnation 
for those who are in Christ Jesus" ~
Romans 8:1

No comments:

Post a Comment