Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shoot, I know there's something I'm supposed to be doing...

"Is anyone among you suffering?
Let him pray"
James 5:13

So last week one of my Amazing and Awesome kids had to go someplace I was wishing they didn't have to.  It wasn't dangerous or anything; as a matter of fact they probably were glad to be there.  It was just something I wouldn't have wanted to do myself.  Plus I didn't like the impact it was having on our schedule, so the whole situation was making me uncomfortable. 

So as I was driving there, I was feeling all.... twisted inside.  My heart and my stomach were kind of crunched up; you know what I mean?  Mad at the timing, frustrated by the circumstances, and even ~ in my heart ~ laying blame at the feet of the people who I felt were responsible.  

After I dropped off my Awesome and Amazing child, I spent the next few hours feeling that way.  Irritated, frustrated, infuriated, exasperated, aggravated, vexed, irked, nettled, piqued, disgruntled.   {Man, I love words!}

But here's the thing:  I was so busy wishing it didn't have to happen, that while it was happening, I wasn't even praying for my child.  I was just wallowing in my unhappiness.  How's that for putting your focus on the problem, instead of the solution? 

Peaceful and rested in my heart?  Nope.  I chose crunchy and twisted insides, instead. 

Do you know Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for me with all your heart."  Well here's the wording that was in my head that day:  "You will seek Me and find Me, when you finally get around to searching for Me...." 

Fortunately, God loves even a slow learner....

~ "You will keep in perfect peace, 
whose mind is stayed on You" ~
Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment